Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The end is nigh

I seem to be running out of things to do to my guitar. There should be no doubt that even considering that I'm almost finished will bring enough bad luck to add a few weeks to the process, but it's getting harder and harder to imagine how it could take much more time.

I've been busy the past few weeks with lots and lots of detail work. All the parts of the guitar are now constructed. So from here on out it's a matter of making them pretty, fitting them together, and then hoping it sounds good when you put strings on it (and then doing lots and lots of adjusting when it doesn't).

I began this process exactly one year ago today so, by my calculation, that's roughly 150 hours spent building a guitar. And considering I've probably spent 150 hours watching reruns of bad TV shows and another 150 hours doing laundry, I consider the time especially well spent.

By the way, in case you're wondering, the balloon keeps the spray lacquer from getting on the inside. How ingenious.





No comments:

Post a Comment