My family would probably tell you that I'm not the most patient person in the world, but they should be happy to know that I'm experiencing excellent therapy every Tuesday night. In the latest two-steps-forward-one-step-back episode, I'm happy to report that I finally finished the outer and inner rings of my rosette.
You may recall from my last thrilling blog entry that I was beating my head against the wall trying to get the outer and inner rings of purfling in, with absolutely no luck. The problem was the purfling itself, so I finally screamed "Uncle!" and ordered the proper type.
It went in like a dream. What I had worked on fruitlessly for almost five hours was completed in about 45 minutes. Another 20 minutes trimming it up and it was looking great. Now to begin sanding the top to thickness. We're really getting somewhere now! Wait....what, you say?
Once in the sander, it became clear that the inner ring also had a problem. It was laid too shallow so that my magnificent rosette was being sanded away.
Okay. I get it. I'm being tortured.
So it's back again. I have to re-rout the channel for the middle ring - the one with the abalone - and do it over again. But no problem. I'm an expert now. I LIKE making rosettes. It's a wonderful opportunity for peaceful reflection. But it will have to wait until next time. I have to order more purfling, so joy of joys - I can look forward to doing it AGAIN.
After this experience is over, if nothing else, I'll be an expert at rosettes (something I always aspired to).
Breathe in....breathe out...
On the positive side, I made good progress on my sides. Both are now bent and one has had the laminate applied. It was a very simple process and, best of all, it worked the way it was supposed to. I think.
Patience, my son.....Patience.